As Your Agent
We aim to let and manage your property by introducing suitable tenants in the shortest time possible at the maximum rental, taking account of current market trends.

Tenancy Agreement
Your property would be let under an RICS Assured Shorthold Tenancy with an initial fixed term of 6 months using the RICS agreement.  To end the tenancy, the landlord must serve at least 2 months' notice, with the tenant needing to give at least a month's notice. 

Deposits from tenants must be protected under a registered tenancy deposit scheme with prescribed information given to tenants within the required timescale.  Willsons use the Tenancy Deposit Scheme.

Energy Performance Certificate
It is now a statutory requirement that, prior to the marketing of any residential property to let, an EPC (being no more than 10 years old) must be available to a prospective tenant. We can arrange for an EPC to be carried out for you at a competitive cost.  From 1st April 2018, all properties with new or renewed tenancies will require a minimum E rating with this rolling out to existing tenancies in 2020.

It is the landlord's responsibility to ensure that the electrical installation and all electrical appliances are safe and in full working order being compliant with all relevant regulations before a tenancy agreement is signed. It is good practise to have an electrical installation report carried out every five years unless advised otherwise.  We can arrange for a qualified electrician to check these matters for you.

Gas Safety
It is a legal requirement to have an annual gas safety inspection and any necessary repairs or maintenance carried out. We can arrange a safety check by a qualified contractor and obtain the Gas Safety Record.

Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms
Smoke alarms are required to be fitted on every floor of the property.  In addition, carbon monoxide detectors are required in every room with a heater which burns solid fuels.  Landlords will be required to check the alarms are working at the start of every new tenancy.  Also any chimneys with open fires or fuel burners should be regularly swept.

Water Testing (Legionella Risk Assessment)
Landlords are required to perform a risk assessment for Legionnaires Disease, this is particularly important if the water is via a non-mains supply.  We can recommend contractors who are able to perform sampling if required.

Furniture and Furnishings
We strongly recommend our landlords to only let their properties empty of any furniture and furnishings thereby, avoiding the complexities of the fire resistance requirements.

Fire Safety in Houses of Multiple Occupancy
HMOs are usually properties in which unrelated people share facilities such as the kitchen or bathroom.  A large HMO (more than 2 floors and more than 4 people) needs to be licenced.

Whilst the property is let, it is necessary for Landlords to inform insurers of the status and to adequately insure the structure and contents.  Many landlords take Third Party Liability to cover any claim made by a tenant or anyone affected by a defect which causes damage or personal injury.

Right to Rent
Landlords must check that all people aged over 18 years living in their property (as their only or main home) have the "Right to Rent".

Money Laundering Regulations
Willsons are required to comply with these regulations and to retain on file verification of the identity of all new landlords.  You will need to provide us with sight of your passport or UK Photocard Driving Licence and bank statement or utility bill to confirm your postal address.

Rent Guarantee Schemes and Legal Expenses Insurance
Willsons will be pleased to advise landlords on insurance schemes available for rent guarantee and legal expenses.

Income Tax
You have responsibilities to pay Income Tax on rental income and Willsons will provide you with statements suitable for this purpose.  We recommend that you take advice from an accountant for further information.

If your property is subject to a mortgage, it is your responsibility to get permission from your mortgagee to rent out the property (copy of the consent to be forwarded to Willsons).


Willsons Residential Letting & Management Service Brochure